M I ND
Circle 114 on the reader service card or
➤ continued from page 18
DesignProcess: Vesuvius Ceiling Flush Mount
1. Brass material is secured in place on a steel mandrel that will give the
piece its form. Once secured the spinning lathe is turned on.
2. Beginning at the center of the part, the spinner uses steel hand tools
to press the metal against the mandrel.
3. As the material forms to the mandrel the spinner gradually moves along
the profile of the mandrel.
4. When the desired shape is achieved, the finished piece is removed from
the spinning lathe and is ready for additional fabrication or finishing.
5. Baffle ready for Architectural Bronze finish.
To view a video of aluminum spinning at
ILEX’s Massachusetts factory, visit I&S.com