10 percent of the work revolved around services needed, but the other 90
percent is living. The goal is to maximize the potential of living as fully as
possible, focusing on capability versus disability. Understanding an individual
not by diagnosis, but as a unique human being who enjoys certain foods,
activities, and visitors.
We are still not at a tipping point, but over the last 10-12 years, great strides
have been taken to evolve extended care settings into a kind of small household that allows for care to be given with as much normalcy as possible on a
day-to-day basis. For those with dementia and other types of frailties, smaller
environments have improved outcomes by providing a more manageably sized
environment that encourages residents to focus on their potential.
Ultimately, the goal is to provide an environment where my grandmother still
has the opportunity to cook or do laundry as part of the communal approach
to living together in a typical day. Even as a resident’s abilities waiver, we can
provide a familiar
setting that improves
outcomes and enables
potential. I often use
my personal experi-
ences as the litmus
test for determining
an environment is.
It takes personal
residents, and family members to create a team that supports the individual.
Design is essential in supporting the care models desired, and it will continue to
change and improve the future.
Jane Rohde is the founding principal of JSR Associates, Inc., in
Ellicott City, Md. She champions a global cultural shift toward
deinstitutionalizing senior living and healthcare facilities through
person-centered principles, research and advocacy, and design
of the built environment. Clientele includes nonprofit and for-profit developers,
government agencies, senior living and healthcare providers, and design firms.
She speaks internationally on senior living, aging, healthcare, evidence-based
design, and sustainability. She is the first recipient of the Environments for
Aging Changemaker Award presented by the Center for Health Design. For
questions or comments, reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
interiorsandsources.com Circle 140 on the reader service card or visit interiorsandsources.com/freeinfo 75
Join Us in February
Interiors & Sources and Ngage Events will once again host Design
Connections Healthcare in Ponte Vedre, Fla., from Feb. 22-24, 2016.
The program will include continuing education, one-on-one meetings
with manufacturers, and opportunities to network with other healthcare
designers. The event has the support of IIDA, ASID and AAHID.
Design Connections will be offered at no expense to design
professionals and those interested in attending should contact Lisa
Jones at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you there!